Thursday, April 17, 2008

On Holiday

So tomorrow my parents are off to Florida for the week. They're gonna spend time on the beach, soaking up the rays on the Gulf coast, dine out and do all the things that grown-ups do on grown-up vacations. It all sounds dreadfully boring to me.

Maybe it comes from having lived down the road from the beach my entire life, but I cannot understand the allure of going somewhere where all there is to do is lay on the beach. At least around here you're never more than five minutes away from something else to do. I much prefer heading over to the beach at night for a bit to chill out. I guess it can be relaxing for some during the day, but I'd get bored and then quickly graduate to agitated and anxious.

My idea of a vacation is going to a city. I'd much rather go to a place to experience a bit of culture (food), see sites (restaurants), and meet people (food vendors). Chicago was great, New York is cool for a day of fun, and Philadelphia is...easy to get to. I'd like to get to Baltimore, Boston, and Washington in the near future as well. I'd go to a city in the South but I'm afraid there may be a lot of Southerners there.

No comments: